Monday, February 13, 2017

Writing skills

Writing skills:

Avoid the over usage of "and".
Text cohesion: This is a good website to read about sentence connectors.
http://ndla.no/en/node/56814?fag=42 

This will be useful when we write about composition subsequently in P2.

Avoid redundancy. 
- Visual Imaginery Vs Uncouth Language /Gross Imaginery


Grammar
- Tenses should be consistent, be aware of context.
- Upper Pri should usually be past tense, not past continuous tense.

**Common errors**
Take --- away  (take it away)
Bring -- bring it back  (bring it back to me)
Fetch  -- 2 ways
Find -- past tense is found. Finding something should be "looking for something". I do not find my wallet. I found my lost wallet. I am trying to locate my wallet because I have lost it.

Calling vs Asking
Call for an ambulance (instead of call an ambulance, it should be call for an ambulance)


Vocabulary
Redundancy
- red colour (should be red in colour)
- take medication (we don't eat medication)

Punctuation
- Run-on sentences (There must be full stops)
- Paragraphing for dialogue.  (If unsure about dialogue, don't use it. Keep dialogue to a minimal.)
- No one-sentence paragraphs (don't use it unless there is a strong impact)

Handwriting
- Spacing in between words. Redo it.
- Size / height of letters formed.
- Forming punctuation marks clearly.
- Accurate formation V Perfection






No comments:

Post a Comment